Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Humera hallari
These days, phones get lost, misplaced, or stolen way too often. Smartphones can be expensive and usually contain a lot of valuable information that you would not want to reach a stranger’s hands. Hence, tracking lost phones and erasing the data becomes all the more important in the current scenario. That said, there is no need to worry too much as there are various easy ways to track and locate a lost phone for free.
Before getting into the list of free methods to track a lost phone, it is important to keep these few things in mind:
- You are more important than your phone. If you end up in a situation where your phone has been stolen, report it to the police. Attempting to track and trying to investigate it by yourself can cause serious trouble to you. Reaching the police is the smart and safe way.
- Cancel or disable your logins and passwords. Since a lot of transactions and important online interactions are done through mobile phones, free yourself from the burden of losing important information or money by remotely removing saved passwords and login information. Keep in mind to also deactivate debit/credit cards linked to the phone number.
- Block your sim card. If your phone had been stolen or was found by someone, you can prevent them from making unauthorized calls, texts, or transactions from your number by immediately blocking the sim card.
- Report it to the police. If your phone has been lost or stolen, make sure you report it to the police immediately. Most insurance companies require a police report to file a claim.
As mentioned earlier, there are several free methods to track a lost phone. However, it is important to choose the right method while trying to find a lost phone for free. This quick guide will help you choose the ideal method to track your lost phone:
METHOD 1: Track a lost Android Phone for free with Google’s “Find My Device”.
If your lost phone is an Android device, a free and easy method to find it is through Google’s “Find My Device”. This feature is completely free and it allows you to remotely track a lost Android phone.
- Download Google’s “Find My Device” app or turn “Find My Device” on in Settings -> Security -> “Find My Device”. This will allow tracking a lost phone for free.
- Enter the Google website https://www.google.com/android/find and log into the Google account which is linked to your lost phone or device.
- The user-friendly interface of the website will allow you to navigate and find the location of your lost phone for free.
- Apart from finding the exact location of the lost phone for free, Google’s “Find My Device” also allows the user to lock, ring, or erase the data in the phone remotely.
Besides “Find My Device”, Google’s Google Map allows you to track a lost phone with the use of GPS. If your lost phone is still turned on and is within the range of a Wi-Fi network, it can be tracked for free from a computer or another device using the Device Manager.
Otherwise, if the lost phone is turned off or if it is out of network coverage area, its last shown location can be checked from a computer or another phone. To see your lost phone’s last reported location, go to https://myactivity.google.com/ and click on “Places You Go”, and “Manage History”. It has to be kept in mind that this option relies on mobile networks and Wi-Fi but not GPS. Hence, this method will not locate your phone as accurately as the Device Manager would.
METHOD 2: Find a lost iPhone for free with Apple’s “Find My iPhone”.
Apple’s “Find My iPhone” can let you track your lost phone for free, without any hassle. This seamless and free service offered by Apple is dedicated to assisting users to locate a stolen or lost phone. The following steps can allow you to track your lost iPhone:
- Turn on “Find My iPhone” from the iCloud setting on your device. If this feature is turned on, you can track for free if the phone is lost.
- Go to Apple’s iCloud website https://www.icloud.com/find and log in to the account linked to your lost phone to find it for free.
- You will “Find iPhone” option on the welcome screen after logging in.
- From the list of devices, select the phone that is lost.
- The lost phone’s exact location will be automatically tracked by the “Find iPhone” feature.
METHOD 3: Samsung’s “Find My Mobile”: Track your lost Samsung phone for free
“Find My Device” is Samsung’s phone tracking service that can be accessed through a Samsung account on a computer or from another smart device. Upon activation, it lets the Samsung users locate, backup, and erase their data remotely from their lost Samsung mobile phone for free. If you turn on the “Track location” option, Samsung will provide an automatic update of the lost phone’s location every 15 minutes for free.
Apart from these features, “Find My Mobile” also offers numerous other functions. This includes the “Ring” function, allowing you to locate your phone if you have lost it in your vicinity.
METHOD 4: Track my lost phone for free with the IMEI Number
By using the IMEI number of the lost phone, you can track a lost phone free via your network provider or the internet. IMEI or the International Mobile Equipment Identity is a unique number given to every phone or mobile network slot. In the case of a lost phone, network providers require the IMEI number to track it. Often, customer cares of the network providers give free services to find a lost phone, if given the IMEI number.
METHOD 5: Find a lost phone with the phone number for free
With the help of a carrier contact, you can track your lost phone for free by entering your phone number. This service is often offered by several third-party apps and websites. To track your lost phone for free with this service, you need the contact to be followed, the country, and the code. Using a mobile number tracker can let you find the location of a lost iPhone or Android device.
METHOD 6: Use the carrier app to track a lost phone for free
This method to find a lost phone depends on your carrier service. A few of the carrier apps, provide a feature to track the user’s lost phone for free. This feature also makes use of GPS to find the exact location of the lost phone. However, in most cases, this feature is not free and will require prior payment to avail.
Apart from these methods, companies such as Motorola, Oppo, Xiaomi, Blackberry et cetera offer free apps and features to find a lost phone. Whether it be iOS or Android, there are multiple options to choose from and most of them are free. What matters in choosing the right option while trying to track a lost phone for free is, to understand what is at your hand. Factors such as internet availability, whether you know the IMEI, and whether the GPS was turned on in the lost phone, all matter when choosing from these free methods to find a lost phone.